Friday, September 3, 2010

Frugal Mommie Fridays

So today I am going to talk about a way to save money that some people are totally against, but it really does work. That would be the wonderful art of shopping at Thrift Stores! Okay, okay this may gross some of you out, but just read a little further before making any judgments on this one.

I too was once very weary of the thrift store shopping thing. The thought of wearing someone elses clothing whom I didn’t know anything about, ugh! Then, one day I actually set foot into a thrift store and realized that there were so many more options than just clothing. If you go to a good thrift store you can find an abundance of items. We are talking decorative items for your home, accessories such as ties and belts, sewing material, small appliances, furniture and the list goes on and on.

After getting the hang of the thrift store shopping, I realized that most thrift stores have a discount day in which every single item at the store is discounted, sometimes as much as 50-75 percent off. The thrift store that I frequent has 50% off day every Monday. Therefore, the only day that you will usually catch me there is on a Monday. There are all kinds of treasures in a thrift store, you just have to be willing to set aside a decent block of time and get ready to dig through all the junk to find that gem you’ve been looking for.

Some of you may still be wary about the whole idea of thrift store shopping and it is definitely not for everyone. At least give it a try before making your final decision. It does consume a little extra shopping time, but for me it’s worth every penny of savings. We should all take a little time to plan ahead and get creative when it comes to spending our money. “The plans of the diligent lead to profit as surely as haste leads to poverty.” (Proverbs 21:5).

Until our next appointed meeting time. Stay tuned for more words of encouragement and inspiration for M.O.M.’s near and far! Please share this blog with as many people as you know (www.savedmom.com), we have so many lives to touch. Feel free to post a comment and/or subscribe (if you are reading this from your inbox visit the site address referenced above to post a comment). If you would like to submit prayer requests send them to info@savedmom.com. Thanks for your continued support!

Mommie Blessings,

Saved M.O.M.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

I used to LOVE shopping at thrift stores but then we moved and the thrift stores in the town I now live in are not good at all. I used to go to this one that was in the "nice" part of town. I got some really good buys there. I couldn't believe some of the things people were getting rid of! Nice things! Another good place that might be a step above thrift stores in consignment stores. I LOVE consignment stores! I only have one rule, though, and that is I do not buy used furniture. Had a bad experience with used furniture. Never again! But clothing is very easy to wash, and voila! Good as new!

Kimberly said...

I just wanted to share that I went to the very beginning of your blog and read the first couple of posts. I was SO very moved by the story of Delisia and her family. I know it's been a year since their passing, but news of it is fresh to me and I was just...wow. I didn't even know her and looking at her pictures of her and her beautiful family, seeing how she lived her life to the full to the glory of God...I was so touched. Thank you for sharing about her.