Monday, April 26, 2010

Buy the Shoes

What a lovely day in the neighborhood! I hope that each of you all had a wonderful weekend filled with happiness and peace. I did something a bit out of the ordinary for me on yesterday; I purchased not one but TWO pair of shoes! Now, for those of you that know me understand that purchasing just one pair of shoes is a true abnormality in my world.

I’m so focused on “Living like no one else, so later I can live like no one else,” that I hardly ever purchase anything for myself. My hubby gets on me all the time about this, but what can I say, I’m focused man! I am a strong believer in the Dave Ramsey Total Money Makeover (www.daveramsey.com), which is built on the precept of delayed pleasure. Currently my family is focused on becoming debt free which means a lot of delayed pleasure for us right about now.

So I went to the shoes store on yesterday looking for a pair of flats. In wake of my recent “back issue” I have to start wearing less high hills and more flat shoes :-( While at the store I came across the perfect flat shoe for everyday wear. There was just one problem; it came in 3 different colors! Considering that I don’t have many flat shoes for everyday wear, I felt the need to purchase two colors of this shoe. I went back and forth in my mind in an attempt to figure out if it was worth the cost associated. I decided to put the shoes on hold and go to several other stores to see if I could find a cheaper pair. After journeying to four discount shoe stores, I found absolutely nothing! Then I decided to go home and talk to my husband about it. He encouraged me to purchase the shoes and I actually went back and got both pair!

When I thought about this situation today, I began to correlate what I did with Pastor Joyce Meyer’s most recent book, Eat the Cookie, Buy the Shoes. In this book she expounds upon the importance of rewarding yourself from time to time. As mothers, we so often get caught up in caring for everyone else that we don’t take time to “eat the cookie” or we put ourselves on the biggest guilt trips about “buying the shoes.” Unfortunately, in the midst of this lack of self reward we live less fulfilled lives.

I’m happy to say that I have no regrets for “buying the shoes” on yesterday and I will wear them with a big smile on my face. Although let’s not loose sight that in the midst of these material rewards, we are working towards our ultimate spiritual rewards, and our lives should reflect such. “Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate. (Proverbs 31:31).

Disclaimer: This message is not an excuse for us to over-indulge; it’s simply stressing the importance of self-reward for those that hardly ever partake thereof.

Until our next appointed meeting time. Stay tuned for more words of encouragement and inspiration for M.O.M.’s near and far! Please share this blog with as many people as you know (www.savedmom.com), we have so many lives to touch. Feel free to post a comment and/or subscribe (if you are reading this from your inbox visit the site address referenced above to post a comment). If you would like to submit prayer requests send them to info@savedmom.com. Thanks for your continued support!

Mommie Blessings,

Saved M.O.M.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i am hobby potographer, any chance you'd like to publish some of my photos? i guess it would be great and fit on your articles :-)
totally enjoy your page! send me a mail please in case you want to see my photgraphs