Monday, December 5, 2011

Parenting With Jesus In Mind

A few days ago I had a conversation with my husband regarding my relationship with God. I was really transparent in telling him that since my last pregnancy I noticed that I wasn’t as consistent with my “God time" as I had been in the past. I recognized that this was a problem and took the necessary steps to get back on track with spending more time reading the Bible and communicating with my Heavenly Father.

In the midst of reflecting on that conversation I realized that as I increase my time with God, I should also increase my children’s time being exposed to the things of God. Whether we realize it or not, as Christian parents it is our responsibility to cultivate our children’s walk with the Lord. “Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.” (Proverbs 22:6)

When it comes to making good choices and decision regarding our health I always tell people that the eating habits that one develops early in life will most likely stay with them into their adulthood. The same goes when it comes to our spiritual well-being also. We all know that we can start and grow our relationship with the Lord at anytime, but if we choose to expose our children to basic spiritual principles early, just imagine how much more their lives will be blessed for it. We don’t have to make this exposure a complicated process. A few things that I do to aid in this process are reading bible stories to the kids, teaching them simple one-line bible verses, praying with them, and telling them to ask God for help when they need it.

Even though I was an adult when I received Christ as my Lord and Savior, I actually did so because of the influence that my parents had on me. My mother and father both gave their lives to the Lord during my teen years and then began talking to me about the importance of salvation. Neither of them were forceful in their approach, but they were consistent in sharing the “Good News” with me. At first I had no desire of receiving salvation and expressed this to them. However, I now thank God that they didn’t give up on me. I also have a greater appreciation for what they did for me now that I have little ones of my own.

We all want the very best for our children, so let’s take the time and necessary steps to expose them to the way of the Lord. For we know that God’s foundation is the best foundation. Until our next appointed meeting time. Stay tuned for more words of encouragement and inspiration for M.O.M.’s near and far! Please share this blog with as many people as you know (www.savedmom.com), we have so many lives to touch. Feel free to post a comment and/or subscribe (if you are reading this from your inbox visit the site address referenced above to post a comment). If you would like to submit prayer requests send them to contactsavedmom@gmail.com. Thanks for your continued support!

Mommie Blessings,


Saved M.O.M

1 comment:

Roni J said...

Thank you for the gentle and very important reminder!