Friday, February 12, 2010

Feature Friday

I am so excited that we have been blessed to see another Black History Month! It’s imperative that we not forget the many African Americans that came before us and were an essential part of America’s history. In wake of the celebration of Black History Month Saved M.O.M. will feature an African American woman whom played a role in the progression of American History every Friday this month. Today's feature is Old Elizabeth (1766 – 1867). She was one of the first African American women to pursue a career as a religious evangelist, doing so at a time when this was very much so discouraged.

Born a slave in 1766 in Maryland, her parents were also slaves. Her father could read, and read to her frequently from the Bible, but Elizabeth remained illiterate. At age eleven, Elizabeth was sold to a new owner who lived many miles from her family; Elizabeth was lashed for returning to visit her mother, and it was after this that she received a spiritual call to become an evangelist. She recalled in her memoirs, “At parting, my mother told me that I had "nobody in the wide world to look to but God." These words fell upon my heart with ponderous weight, and seemed to add to my grief. I went back repeating as I went, "none but God in the wide world." After a short time reunited with her mother, Elizabeth was sold again.

Old Elizabeth received salvation at the age of twelve. The account of her “salvation experience” is nothing less than amazing. You can read the full account in her memoirs by visiting http://womenshistory.about.com/od/aframer18631900/l/bl_old_elizabeth.htm. Elizabeth was freed from her fourth owner in her 30's. For many years Elizabeth remained quiet. She didn’t speak much until later in life when she realized that it was time for the message God gave her to be heard. In her memoirs she recalled, “I did not speak much till I had reached my forty-second year, when it was revealed to me that the message which had been given to me I had not yet delivered, and the time had come. As I could read but little, I questioned within myself how it would be possible for me to deliver the message, when I did not understand the Scriptures. Whereupon I was moved to open a Bible that was near me, which I did, and my eyes fell upon this passage, "Gird up thy loins now like a man, and answer thou me. Obey God rather than man," (Job 38:3).”

At the age of 42, in Baltimore, Elizabeth began a career as a religious evangelist, preaching though she was discouraged from doing so, especially by men who did not believe that women were permitted by the Bible to be preachers. However, she continued doing the work of the Lord because she knew that this was His will. In her memoirs she stated, “…and the Lord showed me that it was His will I should be resigned to die any death that might be my lot, in carrying His message, and be entirely crucified to the world, and sacrifice all to His glory that was then in my possession, which His witnesses, the holy Apostles, had done before me.”

Elizabeth traveled to Virginia, and as far as Canada. She often had a warmer reception by Quakers than by others. At the age of 80, Elizabeth moved to Michigan, and during her four years there, founded an orphanage for black children, getting around opposition by staffing it with white teachers. At 87, she moved to Philadelphia where, in 1863, she published an autobiographical account, Memoir of Old Elizabeth, A Coloured Woman. It was republished after her death by Quakers, retitled as Elizabeth, A Colored Minister of the Gospel, Born in Slavery.

After traveling for many years and sharing the Gospel of the Lord, at the age of 87 she felt that the Lord had released her from traveling and that much of her work was done. She concluded her memoirs with this… “When I went forth, it was without purse or scrip,—and I have come through great tribulation and temptation—not by any might of my own, for I feel that I am but as dust and ashes before my almighty Helper, who has, according to His promise, been with me and sustained me through all, and gives me now firm faith that he will be with me to the end, and, in His own good time, receive me into His everlasting rest.” One of her favorite scriptures was Galatians 3:28 “There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.”

Most of the aforementioned information was cited from the following sources… http://womenshistory.about.com/od/aframerwriters/p/elizabeth.htm and http://womenshistory.about.com/od/aframer18631900/l/bl_old_elizabeth.htm.

Until our next appointed meeting time. Stay tuned for more words of encouragement and inspiration for M.O.M.’s near and far! Please share this blog with as many people as you know (www.savedmom.com), we have so many lives to touch. Feel free to post a comment and/or subscribe (if you are reading this from your inbox visit the site address referenced above to post a comment). If you would like to submit prayer requests send them to info@savedmom.com. Thanks for your continued support!

Mommie Blessings,

Saved M.O.M.

No comments: