Monday, February 15, 2010

My Valentine’s Perspective

Happy day after Valentine’s Day to all! Here we are at the start to another week in the life of. I had an absolutely wonderful weekend and I hope that you did as well. Let’s make every effort to have an awesome and spectacular week!

So, as we all know, yesterday was Valentine’s Day. As I scrolled down the news feeds on my FaceBook page over the weekend, I grew increasingly bothered with every second. Maybe my reaction was a little too strong, but hey, it is what it is. My feelings were fueled by the fact that so many people were making superficial comments and posting superficial photos regarding their Valentines Day treats and wishes. Okay, let me pause for a moment and make it very clear that I don’t disagree with individuals celebrating their love for one another. I just simply feel that we should show love everyday.

It seems as though many people use Valentine’s Day as an opportunity to boast about what their significant others have done for them. The word tells us, “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” (1 Corinthians 13:4-7).

I used to get caught up in the “commercialization” of V-Day myself. It took me a while to get beyond doing so in my relationship with my husband. I can recall that our first Valentine’s Day as a married couple, we had one of our biggest disagreements ever. I felt as thought Valentine’s day was a day for women to be honored and pampered. My husband was in total disagreement, he felt that Valentine’s Day was a day for both parties in the relationship to be honored and gifted. Fast forward to today and we don’t even really celebrate the holiday. We make an effort to show love and to honor one another 24/7/365! Instead of getting caught up in the “commercialization” of V-Day and making other people rich, we choose to spend our money wisely and express our love daily. What about you?

Sidebar… just imagine how wonderful it would be if the money that was spent on V-Day was donated to Haiti or your favorite charity.

Until our next appointed meeting time. Stay tuned for more words of encouragement and inspiration for M.O.M.’s near and far! Please share this blog with as many people as you know (www.savedmom.com), we have so many lives to touch. Feel free to post a comment and/or subscribe (if you are reading this from your inbox visit the site address referenced above to post a comment). If you would like to submit prayer requests send them to info@savedmom.com. Thanks for your continued support!

Mommie Blessings,

Saved M.O.M.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree that we should show love everyday and not just on that one day. I too think many get caught up in the spending. I am a firm believer that you should not spend what you don't have. If you can afford the gifts after you have taken care of your priorities, then I say go for it. You must choose what you do wisely.