Monday, October 26, 2009

Take Time for You

Good day to all!!! So here we are at the top of another week in the exciting world of motherhood. Well, as I sat down in font of my laptop this morning, I prayed to God regarding the topic of bloggersation for today, then God said, “Tell mommies to take a little time for self.” Boy, did this resonate in my spirit!

As mothers we often do things to keep everything and everyone else in order, but what about us? We take care of the house, we take care of the kids, we take care of our families, we take care of business, but when do we take care of ourselves? I can recall a conversation that I had with my cousin several years back. She was telling me about some health problems that she had been experiencing. In the midst of her describing her pains and ailments, I asked her when she had last been to see her primary care physician for a physical. Can you believe she couldn’t even remember? She said, “I’m always so busy making sure the kids are on schedule with their appointments that I forget to stay on top of my appointments.” Unfortunately, this is a reoccurring story for many mothers out there.

Yes, we should definitely be there for our families, but we have to take care of ourselves too. Most of us have experienced being on an airplane as the stewardess goes through the emergency safety protocol. They always tell us to secure our oxygen masks first before helping others. There’s a reason that they explain the protocol that way. How can we help anyone else if our “oxygen mask” isn’t safely secured? This analogy plays out in “real life” as well. We must be sure that we are taking care of ourselves spiritually, physically, mentally and emotionally so that we can have the strength and energy to take care of all else.

This means that we all need “MOMMIE TIME” and we need it often. It could be a 15 minute relaxing bubble bath, an evening out with the girls, quiet meditation time, a massage at the local spa, or whatever helps you have a few moments to rest and relax. Don’t feel bad about taking time for you. Even God Himself took time to rest. The word tells us, “By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work.” (Genesis 2:2).

On Saturday, I enjoyed a wonderful day with my mother and my sister. It’s funny when I think back on how the outing began. My mother came by to pick me up and wanted to know why my son wasn’t joining us. I told her that since we were going to be out all day I didn’t want him to miss out on his nap because he would get cranky. Although, I just realized I really just wanted some mommie time without any kids around, and that’s okay. When is the last time that you took a rest break?

Be sure to tune in on Monday for more words of encouragement and inspiration for M.O.M.’s near and far! Please share this blog with as many people as you know (www.savedmom.com), we have so many lives to touch. Feel free to post a comment and/or subscribe (if you are reading this from your inbox visit the site address referenced above to post a comment).

Mommie Blessings,

Shonte’ Press

2 comments:

LaRonna Turnbough said...

Shonte, what you wrote is so true and it needs to be said over and over again throughout the journey of motherhood. Being a mother of 6, I have had to build into my daily schedule time for myself. We don't need more time, what mothers need is to prioritize. We are all given the same amount of hours in a day. With 8 hours of sleep, you have 16 hours to accomplish your tasks. If you can't manage to get some time for yourself within that 16 hours, you need someone to help you with your scheduling.

Betty said...

Thanks for sharing. Taking some time for ourselves is an important part of motherhood. Each evening before bed I unwind with a good book. I am currently reading a great chick-lit, spiritually uplifting book called "Mystic in a Minivan" by Kristen White. The book was created by a mom of three young kids who was inspired to tell a story as a result of her spiritual practice. She uses many of the tools in the book and it has transformed her life in a magical way. It's an amazing book!