Monday, May 24, 2010

Nutritional Suicide

Happy Monday, well the super busy weekend has come and gone and now we are back to some sense of normalcy. Most of you all know that I have a tendency to be a little extreme in the things that I do at times. Much to my husbands chagrin, I have taken on yet another “project” for the month. For some strange reason, since my childhood, I have constantly created one project after another leading to a string of projects lurking overhead. Now, I must say I usually complete the projects, but I don’t seem to space them out far enough. This really annoys my husband. He understands the vision, but doesn’t always understand the process.

My most recent “project” is driven by my research on healthy living. I am always looking for ways to improve my health and the health of those around me. I recently discovered that most of our produce has lost as much as 60% of its nutritional value once it meets our kitchen table. This is due to the fact that a large majority of our fresh produce has traveled between 1500 and 2000 miles before reaching our local grocery stores! As most of us know, our produce has also been pumped with horrible growth hormones and sprayed with terrible pesticides.

Well, for the past few years I have been purchasing my produce from a local co-op that sells all organic. I always assumed that because it was a local co-op the produce was locally grown. Last week after some very detailed question asking, I found out that the produce comes in from Florida by way of SOUTH AMERICA! Boy was I unhappy when I discovered that important bit of information.

This led to my most recently self-created project. I am on a quest to find a place where I can purchase organic, locally grown produce with a good selection of fruits and vegetables and reasonably priced products. In my quest, I found a great website which links local farmers and people like you and I together. This website is www.localharvest.org. This is such a good resource for people seeking to eat better all over the United States. I have narrowed my search down to three local Farmers Markets that are held one day each week. These markets are set up for local farmers to come in and sell the produce grown on their farms.

This weekend my husband and I will venture out to one of these markets in hopes of striking gold. I really wish more people would come to the realization that more deaths are caused with a knife and a fork than any other object. We are literally committing nutritional suicide. Our food supply is very tainted, at least 51% of our food consumption should be RAW, processed food is not the answer and most of us are extremely vitamin and mineral deficient. Just about every disease can be linked back to some type of nutrient deficiency or toxins that aren’t being cleaned out of our bodies. Please take care of yourselves and teach your children how to eat and care for their bodies properly, God gave us one temple to guard, so let’s take that task seriously!

Today I will leave you with the words of John 3:2, “Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.” Until our next appointed meeting time. Stay tuned for more words of encouragement and inspiration for M.O.M.’s near and far! Please share this blog with as many people as you know (www.savedmom.com), we have so many lives to touch. Feel free to post a comment and/or subscribe (if you are reading this from your inbox visit the site address referenced above to post a comment). If you would like to submit prayer requests send them to info@savedmom.com. Thanks for your continued support!

Mommie Blessings,

Saved M.O.M

No comments: