Monday, August 24, 2009

Unique Identity

Good day to all! I am so excited that the Lord has blessed us to see another day in the wonderful world of parenthood. I hope that each of you enjoyed the weekend and I know that your week will be full of peace and joy. Today I want to take a few moments to talk about the unique identities that each of our children have been blessed with.

This past weekend my husband and I were out with our son and I fell victim to comparing my child to another child. Oh no, go ahead and stone me now!!! I am sure that we have all been guilty of doing this as some point in time. So here’s how the story plays out… We crossed the path of another mother that was bragging about her son’s ability to always adhere to his “schedule” even when they are out and about. Now my son has a “schedule” too, but he doesn’t do as well adhering to his “schedule” if we are in an unfamiliar environment. I immediately wanted to explain this to her, but then I thought, “Is it really necessary to make excuses and feel the need to explain this to a perfect stranger?” “Absolutely not!” was the answer that I came up with.

I find that oft times as parents we want to compare our children to their siblings and/or other children. Although, what we have to come to understand is that this is not necessary. God made each of us in our own uniqueness. Just as each of us has a physical uniqueness, we all have a spiritual uniqueness as well. We were all placed on this earth to fulfill God’s purpose, but we all have different functions therein. The word explains, “so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.” (Romans 12:5-8).

The best thing for us to do as parents is to support our children by helping to grow their gifts, instead of comparing and focusing on their flaws. I have received the revelation that my child may not do things the way that I see someone else’s child doing things, but that’s okay. It doesn’t mean that something is wrong with him. It simply means that he has his own unique identity. I know that he is covered by the blood of Jesus and in the end it will all work out for his good.

Be sure to tune in tomorrow for more words of encouragement and inspiration for M.O.M.’s near and far! Please share this blog with as many people as you know (www.savedmom.com), we have so many lives to touch. Feel free to post a comment and/or subscribe (if you are reading this from your inbox visit the site address referenced above to post a comment).

Mommie Blessings,


Shonte’ Press

No comments: