Thursday, July 22, 2010

Nobody Told Me

Today is a continuation of the “Nobody Told Me Series”. This series is comprised of blogs about things that we face as mothers that most of us were not forewarned about before venturing into the realm of parenthood.

So today’s topic is, “Nobody told me that taking my first vacation without my child would be so emotional.” In the beginning of May, hubby and I took a much needed 7 day cruise. This was the first time that we were ever away from our son for more than two nights. Before leaving I was so confident that I wouldn’t get emotional or cry as a result of the time apart from our little munchkin. Boy was I wrong. About 2 days into the vacation I curled up in the bed and cried like a baby. I felt so bad for leaving him for that long. The worst part was that we were on a cruise so I couldn’t really talk to him. Then, the moments in which I could talk to him, I didn’t want to because I thought it might upset him. In my super emotional moment, hubby consoled me and assured me that he would be just fine without us; which he was.

I am a sensitive person by nature, but I really thought that I was going to be a tough cookie when it came to me being away from him for seven days. Well, of course I learned otherwise. I had two or three more emotional moments during the course of that week, but I enjoyed my vacation nonetheless. At the end of the vacation I couldn’t wait to get back home, but you will never believe what happened upon my arrival. I walked in the front door and my son just stared at me with this semi-angry look on his face and then he turned away from me. My heart dropped at his reaction to my return. I thought that he would have been completely overjoyed when he looked at my face, but that dream didn’t come true. A few minutes later he warmed up to me and it was like I had never left.

I know that some of you may be reluctant about being away from your kids for an extended period of time, but we ALL need time away. If you can just get two or three days away from everything to relax and rest, your mind, body and spirit will thank you for it. I remember watching the television show, Better, a few months ago. The topic was, “The importance of taking vacations without the kids.” Well, the psychiatrist that they interview actually said that we should vacate away from the kids every six weeks. I thought to myself, first of all who can afford that and secondly how on earth would one find a babysitter that often for at least 3 days of duty. Well, I think if we can just get maybe a weekend every quarter or 2-3 times a year, that’s good enough for me. Taking vacations without the kids is nothing to feel guilty about. We all need our quiet time every once in a while.

We are also striving to be that Proverbs 31 woman and doing the best that we can, to be the best mothers that we can be. Our rewards will be great here on earth and even greater in heaven. As stated in the last passage of Proverbs 31 “Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.” (Proverbs 31:31).

Until our next appointed meeting time. Stay tuned for more words of encouragement and inspiration for M.O.M.’s near and far! Please share this blog with as many people as you know (www.savedmom.com), we have so many lives to touch. Feel free to post a comment and/or subscribe (if you are reading this from your inbox visit the site address referenced above to post a comment). If you would like to submit prayer requests send them to info@savedmom.com. Thanks for your continued support!

Mommie Blessings,

Saved M.O.M.

No comments: