Thursday, April 23, 2009

A Healthy Mom Equals a Healthy Kid

Okay ladies, put down that sugary and/or super fattening snack, otherwise I will be forced to send the food police straight to you! Are we out of control or what? With so many things to do and just not enough time, many of us find ourselves eating really quick and really unhealthy foods. Unfortunately, this means that our kids are following suit. I know that the FDA (otherwise know as the Food and Death Administration) approves all of those high fructose corn syrup foods that are stocked on the shelf at our local grocer. Oh, and don’t even get me started on those “high fructose corn syrup is so good for you” commercials! PLEASE STOP THE MADNESS! Okay, maybe I need to calm down just a bit, but this really irritates me, as you can see. With so many quick/cheap unhealthy food choices out there, it’s no wonder that our nation is so high up on the obesity scale. We must take our bodies and our health back by force. The weight and health of our children depend on it!

I consider myself to be a pretty healthy individual, but even I get sucked into the fast food trap. Yes, I said it, I sometimes eat fast food! I can’t believe I put that on the World Wide Web. I am sure that it will come back to haunt me someday. Oh well, it’s for ministry, so there’s my pass go ticket. Okay back to the seriousness of the matter… our bodies are our temples and we must treat them as such. Why would we want to defile a place in which the Holy Spirit dwells? “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.” (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)

We must also remember that food is the fuel for our bodies. Therefore, if we are putting bad fuel into our bodies, they won’t run as efficiently. This can lead to all kinds of health problems down the line. Our kids need to see us setting a good and healthy example for them, and if we don’t feed them healthy and nutritious foods, who will? Certainly not the school cafeteria or vending machines.

So let’s make a whole-hearted effort to eat better and live more active lives. Not only will we look better, but we will feel and function better, allowing us to be even better M.O.M.’s. Be sure to tune in tomorrow for more words of encouragement and inspiration for M.O.M.’s near and far!

Mommie Blessings,

Shonte’ Press

No comments: