Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Word Wednesday

Today is officially “Word Wednesday” otherwise known as “Hump Day”. We’ve made it half way through yet another week on the wonderful, exciting and bumpy road of motherhood. Therefore, some of us are looking for some encouraging words to make it through the rest of the week with Joy and Peace. Every night before little Caleb goes to bed in addition to reading bible stories; I read him a passage out of “Prayers That Avail Much, First Blessings for Your Child” by Germaine Copeland. Special thanks to Marco and Virginia for blessing us with this book! Mommies we have to keep our kiddies prayed up and constantly put Gods word in their heart.

Last nights passage read, “There is a time to be silent and a time to speak. May you know His time and purpose for everything. May you do what is right in the eyes of God and be a good example to others.” Not only is this passage relevant and necessary for our children, but it speaks to us as well. So many times we speak too soon and aren’t silent enough. We have to learn to listen more and speak less, especially us women! Have you ever wondered why God gave us two ears and one mouth? Turning focus back to the passage, it especially applies to the way in which we deal with our children. They need to know that we care about what they have to say. I so appreciate the fact that my mother always gave me the opportunity to voice my feelings. That doesn’t mean that I always got my way, but at least I knew that she cared and that she was listening. Our children need to know that we are always there to listen to what they have to say. When was the last time you asked your child about his or her day and really listened? We also have to know what to say when it’s time to speak. Let’s not practice the “what comes up comes out” method. There is so much power in the tongue. The word says, “My lips will not speak wickedness, and my tongue will utter no deceit.” (Job 27:4). No matter how frustrated our children or anyone else makes us, please think before you speak. Once the words are out, you can’t take them back.

The passage also tells us that we should do what is right in the eyes of God and be a good example. Our children are literally watching everything that we do. Baby girl is watching you look in the mirror as you complain about that baby bump that never quite went away. And we wonder why five year old little girls are so vain. This is a small example of a much larger problem. We want our kids to do what is right, but we must first lead by example. “For we are taking pains to do what is right, not only in the eyes of the Lord but also in the eyes of men.” (2 Corinthians 8:21).

As you go about your daily tasks throughout the remainder of this week be sure to remember there are small eyes and large eyes watching your every move. May the Lord give you the wisdom to know what to say and when to say it. Live your life as though the camera is always in record mode, for the world to see. Be sure to tune in tomorrow for more words of encouragement and inspiration for M.O.M.’s near and far!

Mommie Blessings,

Shonte’ Press

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen Shonte. I couldn't agree with you more!

I was just talking to Kellus about this the other day. It is definitely crucial that we give an ear to our children's needs and desires. That's how we learn who they are! Excellent post!

I look forward to your next word sister!

Blessings,
Kennisha

Tonya said...

Hi!

I found out about your blog from Kennisha. I love the look of your blog and you have some great wisdom on here.

God recently dealt with me about spending more time with my toddler and I blogged about it earlier this week.

You are right about our children watching us. My son is always watching things that I do and how I react to things.

Look forward to your next post!