Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Here by popular demand, today is officially testimony Tuesday! The readers call and Saved M.O.M. answers. Get ready to hear testimonies of a lifetime here on every Tuesday. Please feel free to share your testimony with us at anytime. To submit your testimony, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the “submit” button. So I thought it would be apropos to share my testimony for the first official Testimony Tuesday. Hold on to your seats, you are in for the ride of your life!

People often say that you can’t judge a book by its cover; well at least that’s what they tell me when I share my testimony. I have to give God ALL of the glory for turning my test into a testimony and bringing me out of a very dark place. Here goes…

As a child and teenager I was bound by spirits of sexual perversion, depression and addiction. I lost my virginity in my early teens and things just went downhill from there. I often went on drug runs with so called friends, smoked marijuana, and constantly lied to my mother. I attempted suicide by way of a prescription drug overdose at the tender age of 14 and had to be rushed to the hospital to have my stomach pumped. This resulted in a stay in the psychiatric ward for what seemed like forever. I drank and smoke to fit in and feel “good”. I was in a continuous state of depression which led to anorexia and an unfulfilling lesbian relationship. This further drove a wedge into an already strained relationship between my mother and I. Shonte’ was basically doing everything that she was big enough and bad enough to do. This continued into my college years. When I think back, I see that the love of God was always right there. “Give thanks to the God of gods. His love endures forever.” (Psalm 136:2). In the midst of all of this hell, I was able to maintain an A/B average in school, earn scholarships for college, gain acceptance into the University of GA (Go Dawgs!), maintain employment in a co-op program with the Federal Government and sustain membership in several honor societies. The Lord also protected me from teenage pregnancy, STD’s, and excessive drug abuse. It’s absolute insanity when I consider that when my mother told me that she wanted me to receive salvation, I said, “If I die in my sin it’s just meant for me to go to hell.” The devil is a liar! Thank God for his saving grace and mercy. “Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and from Jesus Christ, the Father's Son, will be with us in truth and love.” (2 John 1:3).

During my junior year of college I was in such a bad place and didn’t know where to turn, so I turned to God. I received salvation on Easter Sunday of that year and haven’t looked back since. I can’t lie and say that I changed over night, but I can say that I am not the person that I used to be. I understand that my test is a testimony for so many other young women. Will you be brave enough to share your test with us; you never know what life you might save in the process.

Be sure to tune in tomorrow for more words of encouragement and inspiration for M.O.M.’s near and far! Please share this blog with as many people as you know (www.savedmom.com), we have so many lives to touch. Feel free to post a comment and/or subscribe (if you are reading this from your inbox visit the site address referenced above to post a comment).

Mommie Blessings,

Shonte’ Press

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Mrs. Shonte'... You definitely cannot judge a book by its cover. I must say that when I met you, I met you on the latter years and God definitely washed your sins away. I told you that your spirit lit the room that day I met you at Bigelow's. You were a stranger within the land of demons, but your light was definitley shining.
Ok Lady... My testimony is actually posted on my MySpace page and has been since June 20, 2007 but here it is for others.
I have always been told that our life is a testimony and the only way that this testimony will assist others is if we share it with them.
Have you ever heard the expression 'One way ticket to hell'? Well, that was my life. My sins ranged from lying to being promiscuous. At the age of 19 I was an alcoholic but in a relationship so promiscuity did not set in until later. I began to drink and drive when I turned 21 and it was only by the Grace of God that I did not get a DUI, hurt/kill someone, nor hurt/kill myself. The doorway was open for me to turn from my sinful ways and I let the devil draw me right back out and back into the world. 21 is also when my partners(edited for this blog, but I think you know what I mean) increased. Fornication was a quick fix for my flesh. Now I didn't know this at the time, I just thought I was doing something I enjoyed. After a man decided to run a red light and totaled my car, God tried to get my attention but I still chose the world. It was not until I got pregnant that I returned to the church. It was brought to my attention that worldly ways are not God's way and for a while the sermons were directed at me. His mercy kept me and I am eternally grateful for Jesus dying for my sins. I'm not perfect, and yes sometimes I still fall, but my constant determination to seek God's face is what keeps me going. I try not to make the same mistakes of my past. I know that so long as I repent and ask for forgiveness all is forgiven and whipped clean, but what happens if I am not able to repent before I die? What happens if God ever gets tired of forgiving me for doing the exact same thing over and over again? I am not trying to find out, so I live my life the best way I can to please God.

The time has come for all Christians to stop being afraid and take a stand for Christ. His return is soon and I am not trying to be left behind. I pray we are all ready for His return. This is my testimony and I am no longer afraid to share it.

Anonymous said...

You have a powerful testimony of God's love and grace! I'm sure he's using it and will continue to use you to share it with women who need it! Praise God for salvation and deliverance!!! :)

Great Post Shonte'!

Have a blessed evening,
Kennisha =)

Jerrold said...

I have to smile reading this, especially after reading "Bigelows" comments because I had the same experience. I vividly remember the glow that surrounded you when we met my first day at Arbor. I think I asked if you were vegan or something. LOL!

I wouldn't know your story until much later, but God's love was and continues to be all around you. And it's there for all of us, if we would only accept it. I won't go into the days I lost my "shine," but I'm a witness that He still loves you... regardless of what you've done or how many times you've done it. You can always come back home.

I applaud you for looking back into your past without fear... and for continueing to share your light.

Tonya said...

What a powerful testimony of how God can change lives! God bless you and I know that many will be blessed and encouraged by your honesty and testimony.