Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Different Perspective

I was chatting with my mother over the weekend and I received a much needed dose of reality. As far back as I can remember I have been obsessive compulsive about meeting all of my self-made goals. I have always had this innate sense to strive for perfection at almost any cost. Due to this self imposed perfectionism, I haven’t allowed myself much room for deviation from my tunnel vision living.

Most recently, I have been in a crazy mode of sacrifice to meet debt elimination guidelines via the Dave Ramsey Program. Because of this sacrifice I haven’t really taken time to enjoy life. I don’t take time to hang out with my friends anymore because I don’t want to spend money frivolously. I haven’t gone to get my hair or nails done in quite a while or even pampered myself via a much needed massage. Hubby and I hardly ever go out because I don’t want to risk spending any money that has been earmarked for Operation Debt Elimination.

While talking to my mother on this past Saturday she laid it all on the line, no feelings spared. She told me that I am living in the prime of my life locked inside of my home focusing on only business, ministry and family while neglecting to live life to the fullest. She feels that it is good to have this kind of drive and focus and that family, ministry and business are important, but so is enjoying life in the process. She sees my determination as a good thing, but thinks that there simply has to be a balance in my life.

My husband and neighbor have been telling me the same thing for quite some time now. I respect all of their opinions, but I just haven’t wanted to do things any other way. I feel that once all of the unsecured debt is paid off next year, I can live and enjoy life a little more then. Mom wanted me to understand that tomorrow is not promised and that enjoying life a little while extending the goal is okay too. I know she has my best interest at heart and that she wants to see me enjoying the prime of my life instead of living under this veil of frugality and outright cheapness.

I feel that there is definitely an inner battle when it comes to this issue and I am seeking God and His Word for wisdom and understanding so that I know how to proceed regarding this matter. “Get wisdom, get understanding; do not forget my words or swerve from them.” (Proverbs 4:5). I know that there has to be balance in everything and that too much of anything is not good, but what’s a girl to do?

Until our next appointed meeting time. Stay tuned for more words of encouragement and inspiration for M.O.M.’s near and far! Please share this blog with as many people as you know (www.savedmom.com), we have so many lives to touch. Feel free to post a comment and/or subscribe (if you are reading this from your inbox visit the site address referenced above to post a comment). If you would like to submit prayer requests send them to info@savedmom.com. Thanks for your continued support!

Mommie Blessings,

Saved M.O.M.

No comments: