Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What’s In a Name

As I sat at my computer today to type out this blog entry I had to ask God for some inspiration. I had a moment of writers block in which I drew a total blank. Then the Lord said, “What’s in a name?” This hit me like a ton of bricks. I have been wanting to blog about the importance of properly naming our children for quite some time. I just hadn’t gotten around to it.

I get so bothered by the names that some people choose to give their children. I’m like, so did mommy not realize that her son or daughter would be stuck with this name for at least the first eighteen years of his or her life? People also don’t realize the importance of knowing the meaning of your child’s name. I once heard Pastor Creflo Dollar preaching about someone naming their child Diablo and then wondering why he was so misbehaved. The Spanish translation of Diablo is, “Devil.” Wow!

Some people tend to not believe in the power of words, but it’s real. As Christians we have to be careful of what we say and what we release into the atmosphere. There is power in our words and what we speak. Proverbs 18:21 states, “The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.”

Do you know the meaning of your name or the names of your children? Well, my name means “Marvelous” in Swahili, “To Sing” in French and “God’s Grace” in Hebrew. One thing is for sure, I haven’t yet been blessed with the gift of song, but I guess mom had high hopes for me. My sons name is of Hebrew origin and it means, “Faith, devotion and whole hearted.” Hopefully one day he will be thankful for the thought that hubby and I put into his name. Before naming your next child, be sure to put some serious thought forth. There is so much more to a name that just a string of letters that a person is called by.

Until our next appointed meeting time. Stay tuned for more words of encouragement and inspiration for M.O.M.’s near and far! Please share this blog with as many people as you know (www.savedmom.com), we have so many lives to touch. Feel free to post a comment and/or subscribe (if you are reading this from your inbox visit the site address referenced above to post a comment). If you would like to submit prayer requests send them to info@savedmom.com. Thanks for your continued support!

Mommie Blessings,

Saved M.O.M.

No comments: