Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Family Ties

Good day to all! I had such a wonderful time with my grandmother on yesterday as we celebrated yet another birthday in her honor. My maternal grandmother, affectionately known as Honey, is like a second mother to me and I am so thankful and blessed to have her as an intricate part of my life.

I spent a lot of my childhood hanging out with my grandmother and learning many life lessons from her. She was a school teacher and taught at the elementary school that I attended, which had its advantages and disadvantages. Honey taught me so much about life and I learned the fine art of travel from her. We would go out of town every summer which allowed for a large breadth of experiences for me.

I believe most of us have that one grandparent that made a major mark on our life and Honey is that special someone for me. As I sat with her on yesterday I started to think about my time spent in her presence lately, or lack thereof. I realized that since my husband and I expanded our family, I have been coming up short on the time that I spend with my grandparents. I know that they aren’t getting any younger and that tomorrow is not promised, so I must make an effort to do better by them.

We all have a tendency to get caught up in everyday life and in the process we seem to neglect the ones that we love the most. Starting today I am making a vow to go visit my grandmother at least twice a month. I could tell that she really enjoyed our time with her on yesterday and the feeling was definitely mutual. Plus my son needs to have an opportunity to get know her as well. There is so much that we can learn from our elders and the generations that have come before us. The Word tells us, “Ask the former generations and find out what their fathers learned,” (Job 8:8).

One of my clients recently lost his grandmother and I am sure that he wishes that he could have spent more time with her before that transition took place. Let’s make an effort to spend more time with the ones we love, even if it means sacrificing a few things in our schedules. Time is one of our most valuable assets, but spending time with family is totally priceless. FYI… Grandparents Day is Sept 12!

Until our next appointed meeting time. Stay tuned for more words of encouragement and inspiration for M.O.M.’s near and far! Please share this blog with as many people as you know (www.savedmom.com), we have so many lives to touch. Feel free to post a comment and/or subscribe (if you are reading this from your inbox visit the site address referenced above to post a comment). If you would like to submit prayer requests send them to info@savedmom.com. Thanks for your continued support!

Mommie Blessings,

Saved M.O.M.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Just wanted to say hello...I've been surfing blogs over here at blogger and yours caught my eye. I look forward to reading your posts! Blessings to you!