Monday, August 9, 2010

The Lock Dilemma

Well, today I am dealing with some serious hair drama! We all know that parenthood takes precedence over many things in our lives. For many of us mothers, our hair gets neglected more than it should.

I haven’t had much time to dedicate to my hair lately and boy oh boy does it show. My hair has definitely taken a back seat to many things in my life and I have nothing but split ends and dry follicles to show for it. However, no matter how frustrated I get with my lack of time to give to my hair I am definitely going to stay natural. I made a vow many years ago to never go back to the creamy crack; perm that is. Perms are extremely bad for your hair and your mental/physical health. I don’t knock anyone who uses it, but I would definitely say do your research before putting heavy chemicals so close to your brain again (short soap box moment is now over). Although, I must figure something out. My hair is constantly tangled and frazzled.

I have a slight dilemma here and I need some help. I would love to lock my hair, but my husband would probably be seen no where with me if I did that. I am really doing my best to convince him that I can totally rock the look and it would be super cute, but he doesn’t seem to be budging on the issue. The only other option is to pay to have my stylist do my hair twice a month and we know how much of a budget buster that could be.

I feel like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place but something has got to give. I could be rebellious against my husband and his wishes and lock my hair anyway, but that wouldn’t be very Christ-like, now would it? “Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.” (Ephesians 5:24) If anyone could offer up some advice as it relates to this matter I would be ever so grateful. I will definitely keep you all posted on my decision. Please pray that hubby has a change of heart

Until our next appointed meeting time. Stay tuned for more words of encouragement and inspiration for M.O.M.’s near and far! Please share this blog with as many people as you know (www.savedmom.com), we have so many lives to touch. Feel free to post a comment and/or subscribe (if you are reading this from your inbox visit the site address referenced above to post a comment). If you would like to submit prayer requests send them to info@savedmom.com. Thanks for your continued support!

Mommie Blessings,

Saved M.O.M.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I'm weaning off the creamy crack too. It's been over a year. I don't know how long I'll last, though, because my hair is rather long and I'm not sure how to keep it healthy until the perm grows out. It is probably going to take a long time. For now I get it flat ironed and use an electric straightening comb to get the kinks out. I'd like to get my hair braided, but it costs too much for me right now. I go to a beauty school and get my hair done...it's considerably cheaper and I can get a shampoo, conditioner and flat iron for $13.50.

As for your hubby and that he doesn't want your hair locked, can you come up with a compromise? Cornrows or box braids? I personally don't like the locked look unless it's really long, but that is just me. That's a tough call to make, but it would probably do better for your relationship to delay the locking until you both can be in agreement. After all, he has to look at you, lol! It would be better to settle on a style that you both can be pleased with. Just my personal opinion. :)

Blessings!