Friday, August 6, 2010

Frugal Mommie Fridays

This morning I realized that I needed to start compiling my grocery shopping list for next week. Considering that I am all about eating a healthy diet, I do half of our grocery shopping at the local outdoor farmers market and the other half at the grocery store. I always plan ahead when it comes to shopping so that the budget doesn’t burst as a result of unplanned shopping trips.

One thing that really helps save money with grocery shopping is purchasing items that are on sale. I would say about 75 percent of the groceries that I purchase at the grocery store are sale items. There are a few things that are staples in our home that I usually have to purchase regardless of the cost, although, I try to stock up on these items when they are on sale.

You will find that most major grocery stores have a weekly circular that you can get in your newspaper, online or at the store. If you take time to go through the circular and make your grocery list based on what’s on sale, you can save a lot of money. Doing so does require some basic meal planning in advance, but after you get used to shopping this way it becomes second nature.

I will offer an example of meal planning in advance with the sale items in mind. When I looked at the sale items for this week I saw that pasta and pasta sauce are on sale. So that tells me that some type of Italian pasta meal will be in our future. I would simply need to purchase some ground turkey to complete the meal. I could make spaghetti, baked ziti or lasagna based on my findings.

Some of you may feel that planning in advance like this is too time consuming. It does consume some time, but for me it’s worth every penny of savings. We should all take a little time to plan ahead when it comes to spending our money. “The plans of the diligent lead to profit as surely as haste leads to poverty.” (Proverbs 21:5).

Keep me posted on how much money you save on your next shopping trip. Until our next appointed meeting time. Stay tuned for more words of encouragement and inspiration for M.O.M.’s near and far! Please share this blog with as many people as you know (www.savedmom.com), we have so many lives to touch. Feel free to post a comment and/or subscribe (if you are reading this from your inbox visit the site address referenced above to post a comment). If you would like to submit prayer requests send them to info@savedmom.com. Thanks for your continued support!

Mommie Blessings,

Saved M.O.M.

No comments: