Thursday, June 4, 2009

At the Dinner Table

As I sat back in my computer chair this morning, I asked God to give me inspiration for this entry. Then he spoke, “At the dinner table.” So operating in obedience, as I strive to do daily, today’s entry will be dedicated to this topic.

For those of you that know me, you can attest to the fact that healthy nutrition is very important to me. Having said that, it bothers me when I see so many children growing up on fast food and processed foods. We say that we want the best for our kids and we want them to lead healthy and productive lives, but how can that happen if they are pumped with saturated fats and sugar all day everyday. I know that I am on my soap box, so let me step down and calm down. I am not perfect and I do indulge in the fast food/sugar fix from time to time. Nonetheless, the bulk of my dietary intake is healthy and home-prepared.

It’s so important that we take time out to prepare healthy and nutritious meals for our families and most importantly ourselves. Then, once those meals are prepared, let us not grab the tray tables or run to our rooms to eat. Let’s sit down as a family and engage in fellowship by breaking bread together. “They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.” (Acts 2:42). This allows for much needed bonding time at the end of the day, and you will be surprised by the conversation that the kids will engage in during this time. We get so distracted by the everyday hustle and bustle, which takes time away from our kids and our families. Although, we can counteract this effect by taking 30-45 minutes at the end of the day to eat together and converse in love. Hey, maybe you can even get the kids to help out in the kitchen, set the table, and/or help with clean up. This will give you some assistance and lengthen the bonding time!

Be sure to tune in tomorrow for more words of encouragement and inspiration for M.O.M.’s near and far! Please share this blog with as many people as you know (www.savedmom.com), we have so many lives to touch. Feel free to post a comment and/or subscribe (if you are reading this from your inbox visit the site address referenced above to post a comment).

Mommie Blessings,

Shonte’ Press

No comments: