Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Testimony Tuesday

As you all know today is Testimony Tuesday! I would like to share a personal testimony with you today. It may seem small to a lot of you all, but it is so big to me. For many years I suffered with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), but praise God, I have been delivered!

I used to think that I was just a “neat freak” as a kid, but as I grew into my teen years I came to know that it was something much more serious. As a child I was overly obsessive about cleaning. It was so bad that sometimes I would get up at 1 am on a Saturday morning to vacuum the carpet. I am sure that this was very beneficial for my mother at the time. She was a single mom for several years and because of the OCD she never had to worry about our home being dirty. She would come home to a clean bedroom, rearranged kitchen cabinets and freshly vacuumed floors on a regular basis.

I started to realize that this was abnormal when my friends would come over for the weekend and make fun of me. They said they felt like I was nagging them, much like their mothers, about keeping everything in its place. As I grew older it started to go beyond just a cleaning thing. When walking on tile floors I had to step perfectly in each square without my foot touching the line. All of the light switches had to be facing the same way, if there were more than one in the wall-plate. The remote controls on the coffee table had to be in just the right spot. Clothes in the closet had to be arranged by type (skirts, shirts, pants, etc…) and then color. Believe me the list goes on and on!

When I married my husband these things really irritated him and caused quite a bit of dissention between us. It was then that I realized I needed help. I turned to God and my husband to help me overcome this disorder. I thought that it was a good thing to be overly obsessive about cleanliness, but I had to learn that there must be balance in all things. “Honest scales and balances are from the LORD; all the weights in the bag are of his making"(Proverbs 16:11). Praise be to God that I can finally say that I am no longer bound by OCD. I am so thankful that I can finally go to sleep without having to get up to fix the remote controls!

Be sure to tune in tomorrow for more words of encouragement and inspiration for M.O.M.’s near and far! Please share this blog with as many people as you know (www.savedmom.com), we have so many lives to touch. Feel free to post a comment and/or subscribe (if you are reading this from your inbox visit the site address referenced above to post a comment).

Mommie Blessings,

Shonte’ Press

No comments: