Monday, June 15, 2009

Security Blanket

It has been on my heart to write about this subject for several days now. For a while I’ve gone back and forth on making the decision to write about the importance of tithing. It’s such a touchy topic for many, but it is oh so important. It breaks my heart to hear of so many people loosing their financial footing during the economic times that we are in, but I thank God for my family’s protection. Tithing is something that we do on a consistent basis in our household. I am so appreciative that my mother and pastor instilled this principle in me soon after I received salvation; it has made all of the difference. For example, I left “Corporate America” to pursue my acting/modeling career in 2005 and not once have I had a need that wasn’t met. I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that this is because of my obedience in the area of tithing.

For those of you that don’t understand the principle of tithing, it’s simply a matter of returning ten percent of your increase (money that you receive/earn) to God. You do so by giving this tenth of your increase to your church home or to a local church. I see my tithe as my personal “security blanket.” It protects me and my family in so many ways. The word tells us, “Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.” (Malachi 3:10).

Sometimes I hear people say that they have to pay their utility bills instead of their tithe. I just wish that they would understand that once the tithe is given, the Lord will see to it that the utilities are taken care of. Although, we should also be cheerful givers with a willingness to return to God what already belongs to Him.

As mothers we must do everything that we can to ensure that our families are protected and blessed. It excites me to know that God has seen fit for me and my family to have financial increase, which allows us the opportunity to give our tithes and offerings. I won’t get into the topic of offerings in this entry, but rest assured that I will cover this subject in a future entry.

Please make it a point to return the tithe to God and teach your children this very important principle. I know that it sounds really clichéish, but you really can’t beat God giving no matter how hard you try. Be sure to tune in tomorrow for more words of encouragement and inspiration for M.O.M.’s near and far! Please share this blog with as many people as you know (www.savedmom.com), we have so many lives to touch. Feel free to post a comment and/or subscribe (if you are reading this from your inbox visit the site address referenced above to post a comment).

Mommie Blessings,

Shonte’ Press

1 comment:

Tonya said...

Great post.

I have seen nothing but benefits from tithing. I started tithing when I was broker than the ten commandments as a college student.

God blessed me so much with scholarships and constant financial provision. He still continues to provide to this day, even though I'm not working a traditional job.

When you think about it, it's only 10%. He lets you keep the other 90%. It's a simple concept, but so many find it hard to let go and let God.