Thursday, July 2, 2009

Misplaced Priorities

I had a rather disturbing conversation with my mother this morning. We were talking about financial stability and proper fiscal management. Most of you may not be aware of this, but my husband and I are currently doing the Total Money Makeover program by Dave Ramsey (http://www.daveramsey.com/). This program is all about becoming wealthy by way of TOTAL debt elimination, sacrificing everyday comforts, and building wealth aggressively. It is my desire to minister to mothers and families across the world and assist them wherever they may be lacking. As we all know, to effectively minister to others worldwide, there is definitely a need for capital. Hence, the necessity for wealth building.

Back to the issue at hand… my mother was telling me about the kids at my sister’s school. They seem to be more concerned with the hottest trends in fashion and less concerned with their grades and living arrangements. I have to place a lot of responsibility on the parents regarding this matter. My mother told me that one of the mothers of my sisters’ friend actually asked her daughter why my sister doesn’t wear designer clothes as much as the other kids. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! Why is it that many parents of today seem to be more focused on superficial things instead of the wholesome morals and values that really matter? My sister lives in a nice home, her family has very little debt, education is top priority and she is instilled with Christian values on a daily basis. Isn’t this more important than rockin’ the latest Coogi jeans?

I don’t mean to be on my soap box right now, but it bothers me when I see that parents have misplaced priorities when it comes to their children. Now I have to also address the root of the problem. Parents that are parenting this way in so many instances just don’t know any better. They may have been raised in communities and families that are driven by the importance of appearances, but how do we break this cycle?

We are supposed to be examples for our children and instill Godly values and morals in them. “Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.” (Proverbs 22:6). How will our children ever learn fiscal responsibility and proper prioritization if we aren’t leading by example? I don’t know about you, but I think it’s time for a parental revolution. I pray that the Lord leads and guides us on how to properly address this issue.

Be sure to tune in tomorrow for more words of encouragement and inspiration for M.O.M.’s near and far! Please share this blog with as many people as you know (www.savedmom.com), we have so many lives to touch. Feel free to post a comment and/or subscribe (if you are reading this from your inbox visit the site address referenced above to post a comment).

Mommie Blessings,

Shonte’ Press

2 comments:

Tonya said...

Let the church say amen!

I strongly agree with you on this. I feel like this: If you are buying your kids the latest Coogi jeans, then you better be also contributing big time towards a college fund for their education.

Your sister should have asked that lady if she wanted to buy her daughter designer clothes. That is why our country is in a recession right now.

Funny that I just read this post now...guess who I've been watching on tv for the past 4 hours...you guessed it! Dave Ramsey. His program is awesome!

MOMSWEB said...

This is sad, but unfortunately true. I do try to remember a very important factor, which is that many people in a parenting position were not raised with the morals and values we look for in Godly parents. They are raising children, yet they weren't raised properly - thus a cycle we are trying to break. I guess you're right in saying it must begin with us. Thank God for Jesus!