Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Word Wednesday

Today is officially “Word Wednesday” otherwise known as “Hump Day.” We’ve made it half way through yet another week on the wonderful, exciting and bumpy road of motherhood. Therefore, some of us are looking for some encouraging words to make it through the rest of the week with Joy and Peace. Every night before my son goes to bed, in addition to reading bible stories, I read him a passage out of “Prayers That Avail Much, First Blessings for Your Child” by Germaine Copeland. Mommies we have to keep our children prayed up and constantly put Gods word in their hearts.

Sunday’s passage read, “I pray that you will be kind to others, tender-hearted, forgiving others, just as God in Christ also forgave you.” The thing that really stood out to me in this passage was the part about forgiveness. It’s so often that we get caught up in our past hurts and choose not to forgive the ones that have hurt us; or we say that we have forgiven them with our mouths, but we really haven’t forgiven them with our hearts. This is an area that the Lord dealt with me in for many years.

As I child I was repeatedly disappointed and hurt by my father. This blog entry is not written to bad mouth him or the things that he did. I am only using this experience as an example for others. It wasn’t until I reached adulthood that I realized just how much these pains and disappointments had affected me. After receiving salvation I told myself that I had forgiven him, when deep down inside I really had not. When we harbor feelings of unforgiveness the only person that we are really hurting is ourselves. How can God truly work in us to His fullest potential when we have those kinds of toxins lurking around? For the word tells us, “And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.” (Ephesians 4:30-32).

We should teach our children to always forgive the ones that have hurt or offended them. I don’t want my children to ever lack in what God has for them because of unforgiveness that may be living in their hearts. When we are hurt or offended by others we must turn it over to God and allow Him to handle it the way that He deems necessary. We should always remember that it is God whom fights our battles, not us.

Be sure to tune in tomorrow for more words of encouragement and inspiration for M.O.M.’s near and far! Please share this blog with as many people as you know (www.savedmom.com), we have so many lives to touch. Feel free to post a comment and/or subscribe (if you are reading this from your inbox visit the site address referenced above to post a comment).

Mommie Blessings,


Shonte’ Press

1 comment:

MOMSWEB said...

My father was....uh...difficult to deal with as a child. He didn't and still does not believe in Jesus, but made sure we attended church every Sunday. I love him dearly and his unbelief has strengthened my walk in a powerful way. You're right, forgiving my father for some of his actions taught me Godly love and has also set me free! I try to remember this with my children...especially when they deliberately disobey. Thank God for Jesus!!!!
Thanks for this post.