Thursday, July 16, 2009

Stop and Listen

This past weekend my father in-law and his mother came in town to visit our family. It was so delightful to have time to fellowship with our loved ones. During their visit I asked my husbands grandmother about her past and her family. It was such a joy to hear the stories of old and learn information that I can one day pass on to my children.

It’s very important that we take time out of our busy schedules to stop and listen. Our elders have so much wisdom and knowledge to share if we would just take a moment to ask and take note. The wisdom that they have gained over the course of their lives is invaluable and the wisdom they share can lead to a better level of understanding for us. The word explains,” Blessed is the man who finds wisdom, the man who gains understanding,” (Proverbs 3:13).

I know that at times we may try to dodge conversation with our elders because we don’t have time to listen to their long stories. I have to admit that I have been guilty of doing this more than a time or two. Although, what I have realized is that they are sharing priceless information and they won’t always be here to share those moments with us. In the future, I don’t want to have any regrets about the time that I could have shared with them and wisdom and understanding that I could have gained from them.

It’s such a blessing to have the opportunity to learn about our past and our ancestors firsthand. I am so thankful for my husband’s grandmothers willingness to share so many wonderful stories about her younger years. I think I will take time this weekend to call one of my grandparents and ask as many questions as I can! How about you?

Be sure to tune in tomorrow for more words of encouragement and inspiration for M.O.M.’s near and far! Please share this blog with as many people as you know (www.savedmom.com), we have so many lives to touch. Be sure to subscribe on the website.

Mommie Blessings,

Shonte’ Press

No comments: