Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Word Wednesday

Today is officially “Word Wednesday” otherwise known as “Hump Day.” We’ve made it half way through yet another week on the wonderful, exciting and bumpy road of motherhood. Therefore, some of us are looking for some encouraging words to make it through the rest of the week with Joy and Peace. At night before my son goes to bed, in addition to reading bible stories, I read him a passage out of “Prayers That Avail Much, First Blessings for Your Child” by Germaine Copeland. Mommies we have to keep our children prayed up and constantly put Gods word in their hearts.

Monday’s passage read, “I pray that you will stay close to anything that makes you want to do right. You will have faith and love, and you will enjoy the companionship of those who love the Lord and have pure hearts.” So many of us don’t realize just how important it is to be around positive and God loving individuals. Remember the old adage, “Birds of a feather flock together.” Well, it’s true! When I received salvation there were friends that I just couldn’t keep close company with anymore. I had to shed some of them on my own and some of them God had to shed for me. I didn’t really understand it at the time, but in retrospect it was truly necessary so that I could grow in certain areas.

The same is true for our children. We can’t pick all of their friends for them, but we can place them in environments in which they can be around children that too have been taught to love the Lord. The word tells us, “Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.” (2 Timothy 2:22). In addition to placing our children around those who call on the Lord, we can also give them advice in regards to the company that they keep. There were so many times in my childhood and adolescence that my mother would advise me about the individuals that I called “friend.” It was astonishing that she was ALWAYS right! We mustn’t be afraid to use our discernment and be open and honest with our children about the decisions that they make. We can’t always dictate who their friends will be, but we can lay the right foundation and show them through our leadership and example.


Be sure to tune in tomorrow for more words of encouragement and inspiration for M.O.M.’s near and far! Please share this blog with as many people as you know (www.savedmom.com), we have so many lives to touch. Feel free to post a comment and/or subscribe (if you are reading this from your inbox visit the site address referenced above to post a comment).

Mommie Blessings,



Shonte’ Press

2 comments:

MOMSWEB said...

Mmmm...good word!

Anonymous said...

I love what you've shown about the book. I'm definitely going to look into that!

What was your response when your mom advised you? Your immediate response?

Many of my boys have been blessed with friends who life them up when they fall down. Last spring, my 8 year old prayed for his friend at school. Not all of them have those kind of friends, but each child has their own individual bloom time where they are willing to look for God's friends.

Thanks for sharing! What a blessing blog:)